If left unchecked, the economic, educational and social challenges highlighted above will solidify the existence of an Indian sub-class that is continuously marginalised and excluded from the Malaysian mainstream.
The Government has, since 2008, progressively undertaken measures to address some of these major challenges. A Cabinet Committee on Indian Participation in Government Programs and Projects (CCIC) was established as well as four special units under the Prime Minister’s Department to address specific areas. These units are:
- The Special Implementation Task Force (SITF) which has played a major role towards resolving a significant number of citizenship and documentation cases;
- The Action Plan for the Future of Tamil Schools Unit (PTST) which is tasked to implement a comprehensive blueprint for the development of Tamil schools in Malaysia;
- The Special Secretariat for Empowerment of Indian Entrepreneurs (SEED) which provides support services to Indian entrepreneurs and businesses;
- The Unit for Socio-Economic Development of the Indian Community (SEDIC) which funds wide-ranging socio-economic and cultural programs.
Malaysian Indian Community Blueprint represents a comprehensive and multi-dimensional approach by the Government to address under representation and under performance of Malaysian Indians. This Blueprint is guided by the following principles:
- To address both immediate deprivation as well as intergenerational social mobility;
- To ensure that efforts ‘plug into’ existing Government policies, programs and initiatives as much as possible and to complement with new undertakings where warranted or beneficial;
- To ensure that efforts taken to close the gap between the Malaysian Indian community and the national average is ‘mainstreamed’ into all relevant Government ministries and agencies, becoming part of their targets and mission in the long term; and
- To strive for constant improvement in delivering a citizen-centric public service by developing a rich data-driven knowledge base of what works; executing innovative and effective initiatives; and scaling up best practices in delivery.